Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Texas Birthday Celebration

"Humor is laughing at what you haven't got when you ought to have it." Langston Hughes

When my sisterfriend, Val, posted this quote on Facebook the other day, I'd just finished holding my breath after checking my bank balance. Many of you know by now that I'm traveling to Austin, Texas to take part in the Austin International Poetry Festival. One of my poems, Quiet Feminity, was selected to be included in the Festival's 'Di-verse-city' anthology. Poets from around the United States along with those from Africa, India and Austrailia will read at venues throughout the city from April 7-10.

This will be my second time at this amazing celebration in honor of National Poetry Month. However,money and bills zap all those happy feelings in an instant. But I'm glad my deceased mom's legacy of faith in God is only a memory away. All I do is close my eyes, breathe deeply and pray. I can almost hear her rich voice singing gospel songs like 'The Blood' or 'God Will Take Care Of You.' Cards, calls and all the notes of support have kept me going too. So have those who have pitched in to help.

So for the next week, I plan on laughing, mingling and enjoying this unexpected blessing. I recently read the greatest misery Jonah suffered was ignoring the special gifts God gave him. Once Jonah decided to follow his dreams, his life was enriched in ways he couldn't imagine.

I intimately relate to that theory. My friends often tease me about books being scattered all over my workspace and my ineptitude with tech gadgets. However, the laughs stop whenever they read my latest writings. My birthday's next Monday. What a way to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment