Pages

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Starry, Starry Hope

Starry, starry night with a beautiful, full moon lighting up the dark winter night. Snow-laden branches climbing high up to the sky complete this picture postcard scene.

I look around and slowly take in all this natural beauty . Not too long ago the holiday season was one of great dread because of all the personal tragedies I've experienced. For years I avoided things like holiday decorations, making favorite dishes and even certain people during this holiday season.

Things are different now. I'm blessed to have family and friends who encouraged me each year to do as much as I felt comfortable with during the holiday season. This year I'm happy to say that I finally put up a Christmas tree and hung decorations. Grief didn't immobilize me for days on end because I took solace in the fact that my loved ones would want to see me enjoying my life, not avoiding it. I admit I cried a couple times and will probably cry some more before New Year's Day. But they're tears of precious memories which often bring joy.

I looked up at the sky again, closed my eyes and prayed for those holding the hand of a loved one lying sick in a hospital bed hoping for a miracle. I also prayed for the souls of the ones who left home and died today. My heart goes out to those who mourn that special person who's not there to make their signature holiday dish or tell the same joke one more time.

I hope the ones who are hurting find peace soon. Just take a deep breath and look at the beautiful stillness of a starry, starry sky. Hold tightly to faith's unchanging hand whenever you feel weak.


Marcie Eanes is a published poet whose book entitled Sensual Sounds is available at http://www.amazon.com/ and http://www.barnesandnoble.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment